10 Fun Solar Power Facts
Who doesn’t love a fun fact in a niche topic? Here are 10 interesting solar power facts that can live rent-free in your mind.
- Solar energy has been used for over 2700 years!! In 700 BC glass lenses were used to make fire by magnifying the sun’s rays.
- The Greeks and Romans would intentionally design their buildings with south facing windows to allow the sun to heat and light their inside space.
- In 1447, Leonardo Di Vinci predicted that solar power would be used to heat water.
- The first silicon solar cell was developed by Bell Labs in 1954.
- Solar energy is the most widely used renewable energy source.
- Solar calculators were invented in 1978 and is likely the first way you have used solar energy.
- The International Space Station is entirely solar powered.
- When huge “Solar Energy Spills” occur, it is known simply as “a nice day” 😅
- China has built a 250 acre solar farm in the shape of a panda. (currently not offering panda designs for rooftop solar).
- Solar panels are the only home improvement that pays for itself.
Know a solar power fact we didn’t mention? We would love to hear it!